I Serve

Click Click Click!

Monday, 11 April 2011

Misconception

So I was in a cab, on the way to my students' place to teach (violin), I was on the phone with my sis talking about our new puppy (that will be blogged about separately) and sometime towards the end of our conversation, I mentioned teaching.

After we hung up...


Cabbie: Whoa, yew teasch tiuuu-shen ah? How musch yew charsje por 2 hours?
(you teach tuition? How much do you charge for 2 hours?)
Me: Err... not tuition. Music, violin. About 50 an hour.
Cabbie: Oh... that one ah? *imitates holding a violin and bow*
Me: Yeah, that's the one. O_O
Cabbie: Aiya... that one ee-ee-oh-oh. Veli noisy, beh tahan.
(Very noisy, I cannot stand it.)
Me: ... not if you know how to play it well.
Cabbie: Eh... noisy laaaaa..
Me: -_-"


He's not the only one I've come across who thinks the violin is merely capable of producing ee-ee-oh-oh sounds.

courtesy of Google images

But seriously, which beginner sounds good on ANY instrument? Unless you're a musical prodigy of some sort, of course. But seriously, I hate those typical Asian parents' stereotypes. And even if you DO have those stereotypes, keep it to yourself man... It's insulting for us who are in the business. We don't insult your profession, so do us a favor and not insult ours.

2 comments:

Lina An said...

aiseh. don't have a 'like' button to your post. haha! LOVE this post!

Clarissa said...

You can share it on Facebook. Lol!