I Serve

Click Click Click!

Saturday, 16 January 2010

Of Ups And Downs...

It has been a crazy week.

Since I've just finished writing an essay on "What I Wish To Achieve" for my Communications class, and my mind is still filled to the brim of my thoughts on achievements, I shall *I can hear people groaning already =P* blog about "Achievements".

“When you do nothing, you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved, you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better.”


Achieving something you’ve been aiming for always gives you a satisfying sense of accomplishment. It does not matter how small that achievement is – it might just be winning a small-scale inter-class competition – the chill down your spine when you hold that shiny (plastic) medal in your hands is something you will never forget. 

 

I have experienced those feelings a couple of times – winning a chinese calligraphy competition back in primary school, getting good grades, obtaining “Distinctions” in my music exams, getting accepted into YST, and so on. Most of the time, though, the wave of satisfaction I feel when I achieve these things are due to the response I get from loved ones. My parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles have been my pillars of support these past 19 years. Without them, I would never have been able to make it this far. 


Well, generally, what I would eventually want to achieve in my life is the same as most people – have a steady-paying job, my own house and car, being able to support my parents, and (eventually) get married to someone I’m prepared to look at/share my life/tolerate/quarrel with for the rest of my life.


That’s a very LONG list of achievements. And to get there, there are so many other little achievements I would have to work hard for...


If one could have, say, the life and money of a prince/princess, wouldn’t anybody in the right mind jump at the chance? 

 

Forgive me if I deviate, but, taking a step back and analyzing everything, you wouldn’t be very happy, would you? 

 

I know of many accomplished (and rich) individuals who lead miserable lives – no family, no moral support from friends and/or family, no spouse etc.


Being very close to my siblings and parents, I cannot imagine my life without them, and miss them terribly when I’m over here, studying.


Having said all that, I have come to the conclusion that, no matter what crappy job I end up with, as long as I am happy, and have everyone I love around me, that in itself, is an achievement. I don't care for BMW(s) and Louis Vuitton handbags. If having branded (over-priced) garments and luxury vehicles meant losing the people I love and care for, I would sooner live in a straw hut with the crazy family than an empty mansion by myself.


That doesn't mean I'll stop striving to be a better violinist though. =D




It's amazing how one person can completely change the way you look at things...


Not that I'm complaining. 


I just hope you know that I'm actually quite relieved that you managed to change my mind about the "issue".


<3

No comments: